Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Stevia - Your New Best Friend!

For me, the hardest part of adhering to the Candida diet was giving up sweets. I was thrilled when my mom told me about Stevia, an herb which is used as a sweetener. It can be purchased in liquid or powder form (I use powder) and has limitless uses. You can read more about Stevia here. I use it to sweeten up my buckwheat breakfast cereal. You could also make homeade lemonade/limeade and sweeten any dessert type recipes you might be fortunate enough to stumble across. 

The only downside of Stevie is the cost.  Expect to pay anywhere from $10.00 - $14.00 for a 4 oz. bottle. (Whole Foods recently had these on sale for 9.99 so I bit the bullet and bought two.) On the upside, Stevia is extremely potent so very little is required to achieve sweetness.  And frankly, to me it's worth the money to not feel completely deprived and restricted.  :)

3 comments:

  1. Do you remember when we were making the carob sauce for the pancakes and you dared me to taste the stevia powder that was left on the end of the spoon? I wouldn't do it unless you tried it also. I touched the tip of my tongue to it and almost died it was so sweet. I've thought about seeing what I can do with a stevia plant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha!! I'd forgotten about that! Your reaction was hysterical!!! Stevia gave your syrupy sweet tea a run for it's money :) Now that you mention it, I forgot we added Stevia to the carob sauce. I made it awhile ago without Stevia and didn't like it. I need to give it another shot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. According to the Wellness Educator at an alternative medicine center, not only can you not only eat sugar if you have a yeast overgrowth, but you also cannot eat anything sweet (including stevia), regardless if it contains sugar or not. However, I see many, many anti-candida diet recipes, which call for stevia. What are your thoughts on this? Can someone on an anti-candida diet have stevia or not?

    ReplyDelete