Thursday, March 31, 2011

Breakthrough Buckwheat Breakfast!!

Ok, maybe breakthrough is a bit of an exaggeration, but I have discovered a new breakfast option I’m excited to share. I found this Creamy Buckwheat Cereal at Whole Foods and thought it would be a great alternative to oatmeal.

I fixed it with butter, cinnamon, nutmeg, Stevia and coconut milk. Sounds delicious, doesn’t it? Well, it really wasn’t and I was disappointed. I let the cereal sit in the cupboard for a week and thought about what else I could do with it. I had my breakthrough this afternoon as I was making Bri’s peanut butter and jelly sandwich. The peanut butter smelled sooo good and I did a bad thing…I cheated on my diet. I ate a whole, heaping spoonful of peanut butter (peanuts are not allowed because they usually have mold on them. Not helpful when on an antifungal diet). So then I did another bad thing…I fixed a bowl of creamy buckwheat cereal and mixed in another heaping spoonful of peanut butter and some Stevia. WOW and YUM!!! It tasted like I was eating a peanut butter cookie. So, I figure if I use cashew or almond butter instead of peanut butter, it will still be super yummy and kosher for the diet. Here's what you need:

  • ¼ cup of Creamy Buckwheat Cereal
  • ¾ cup of coconut milk (unsweetened)
  • 1 large spoonful of cashew/almond butter
  • Sprinkle of Stevia
Mix well and enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. I also love quinoa for breakfast! Put in a few nuts and raisins along with a bit of stevia... delish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to try that without the raisins since I have a bad reaction to them. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's great even with just walnuts and a *little* maple syrup. Or I also slice apples into it.

    ReplyDelete